Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Who knows what the equivalent series resistance is

for these supplies. It is not listed and when it comes to regulators it is a bit of smoke and mirrors. One can get great static measurements but when the load changes, like in a class AB amplifier, it becomes hard to be sure what it is. It is an indicator of good dynamic performance and the only way for us to find out is to use it and even then a shroud of mystery surrounds since - what are we to compare it to other than the ANTEC switcher which it damn well BETTER be better than since it cost about five times as much! But better is better - the question remains - how much better?

How much better than the ANTEC and then how much better than the PICO?

What one needs to know is: is a MB more like a class A amp or a class AB/B amplifier? Does an MB in cMP mode, more specifically, mimic a class A amp? My instinct is that it does but who knows what that is worth (my instinct that is)?

If the MB is more like a class A amp then the power supplies duties become much less difficult since it is not being asked to respond to changes - the definition of class A implies a steady state.

The supply does not seem to be easily available in the US - one would have to import one since none of the majors seem to represent the company, which is a shame since it does appear to be a step up from the average over the counter linear supply. I like the fact that it uses a discreet regulator instead of the ubiquitous three pin chip. One would like to assume this assure much better high frequency performance, important with computers playing music. I cannot imagine the average switcher having good performance in the high frequencies but there is another guess.

The trick with MB and CPU generated noise is how to sink it? The big advantage of the shunt regulator is that is does just that as part of its mode of operation. How any series regulator can reduce noise, other that its own noise, is a bit of a mystery. One would expect the power supply to be "quiet" - how it handles the garbage being returned to it via the ground is another thing. Maybe these clever Germans have found a way. If they have we will be very lucky music listeners.

If we could get a triple output including the 3.3 volts it would be very desirable. I have not found an over the counter supply with 5, 12 and 3.3 volts. We are the odd ones wanting to power am MB with a linear supply! I still like the idea of powering P4 with a separate supply. I continue to wonder if it makes any difference what powers the HDD and the USB. I just can't see how it makes any difference to use anything but the GRANITE supply.

This does seem to be an above average over the counter supply.

Are you considering ordering one?

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.