Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

certainly a good price but ...

is it almost too good a price?

Looks like it still uses crystals but maybe they all do. One wonders if you are going to go to the trouble if it would not be better to get two of the good ones? The good one is using a crystal too but looks like there is all kinds of other stuff on the board to "correct" it. Of course, there are those, namely Peter Daniel, who think these things sound worse than the crystals they replace. I have never experimented with any of this stuff but I tend to think Peter is right. I am sure the sound is different! Simplicity has much going for it and I tend to think the lowly crystal might be the best compromise.

I have seen somewhere someone selling calibrated crystals, or I suspect, more precisely, selected crystals to get as close as possible to the needed frequency. This seems the best way to me. I will try to find those again and let you know. I am nervous about removing components from the board.

I am intrigued with your improvement ideas but can tell you I would be really nervous removing those big IC's from the JULI@ board. It is fragile; bad enough using those SMD pads for "regular" caps, can't imagine what would happen from the heat required to remove something with forty pins! Micro dikes would be safer if there is such a thing.

Please tell me more about NOT using JULI@ CONTROLLER. Have you removed those drivers and does JULI@ still work? Sounds like a great idea if it will work!

Take care,

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.