Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Looks like grounding rules in digital systems are comparable to analog systems

Hi Gstew,

After I checked ‘the sexual orientation’(muwahaha) of the linear PSU’s in my setup, as you discrebed, I was still puzzled about the grounding. Would the common rule that says: in a system with more than one module there should only be one (1) grounding point (preferably at the source module), also apply to digital systems?

After reading chapter 11 and 12 of ‘Digital Hardware Design’ I think the same grounding rules apply. I write ‘think ‘, because I have no professional education in electronics. Only some basic stuff. So I don’t know if I understand everything in chapter 11 and 12 real good.
http://www.ivorcatt.org/digihwdesignp73.htm

In a digital system with more than one module, the 0 Volt also should be grounded preferably at one point. And the grounds of the modules should be inter-connected.
Mostly this is already done by the main leads. But since in a cMP setup it is advised that the ATX PSU should be powered from a different AC circuit (thus also different grnd), the cMP case and the linear PSU grounds should be connected together. At least: that’s what I think needs to be done after reading chapter 11 and 12.
If I understand your post corretly, this is indeed what you do with your linear PSU’s and the pig-tail wire.

And may be that’s why TheoB noticed an improvement in sound quality (SQ) when he grounded his cMP case.

But, when I took an extra wire and grounded the cMP-case (and thus the ATX-psu) with this wire to the grounds of the 2 linear PSU’s, there wasn’t a SQ improvement in my setup. But I will leave the wire that’s connecting the cMP-case to the grounds of the linear PSU in place.
since it’s the suggested method to do so (if I understand correctly)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.