Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Sorry, I can see I left out some important details...

Short answers... yes, the software is on the remote, the keyboard needs to be replaced with a IR-wireless one, and because it is a standard PS/2 keyboard, it doesn't require any changes to a JW slimmed down system. No need to redo the slimming... just replace the keyboard.

Now, for the gory details...

First, cPlay (and Windows) can be entirely controlled by keystroke commands. The cPlay keystroke commands (except 'k' & 'l' for balance, which were documented in the cPlay release that added these keystrokes) are documented online on the cPlay Guide page ( http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/index.php?n=CPlay.Guide ). And I am sure that the stock windows keystroke commands are documented somewhere, but I've known the ones I needed for a long time, so I never tried to hunt the entire list down.

But to make it easy and put them all in one place, here are the keystroke commands you need to know:

Navigation in a list (of Genres, Performers, Recordings, or Tracks, depending on where you are):

Up Arrow = up one line

Down Arrow = down one line

Page Up = up to the top of the current or previous page

Page Down = down to the bottom of the current or next page

Home = up to the top of the list

End = down to the bottom of the list

Enter = open/play highlighted list item

Playback control:

p = toggle play / pause

. = stop

[ = Jump to Previous Track

] = Jump to Next Track

- = Skip Backwards

= = Skip Forwards

Esc = Exit playback (this works only when the cPlay window is not
minimized)

Alt - F4 = Exit playback (this works in all situations)

Alt+Space, then N = minimize window

Alt+Space, then R = restore (maximize) window

Volume/Balance/Phase:

Shift+Home = volume up (I hit these keys at the same time on the keyboard

Shift+End = volume down

; = toggle phase 0 / 180

k = balance right

l = balance left (These may be reversed, I'm not sure)

All of these are built into Windows, cMP, and cPlay and need no special programs to enable. They are there now. You don't need to redo the slimming process for this to work. All of these options work with the any PS/2 keyboard and standard PS/2 keyboard driver that is enabled on all super-slimmed cMP/cPlay machines. No additional software or drivers needed.

For us super-slimmed users with no USB, at the minimum you want to get a PS/2-connected wired keyboard. Although I've not checked, I believe these are still available new and definitely available in New-Old Stock and used. Also, many USB keyboards will work through a USB-PS/2 adapter.

But the bonus is setting up for remote command of your cMP/cPlay machine.

One way is just to get a wireless keyboard. If you just want to control it by entering keyboard commands, either an IR or RF (typically 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz) keyboard will work. The trick here is to find a PS/2-connected wireless keyboard. USB keyboards should work through a USB-PS/2 adapter, but I have not tried this. But IMHO, if you have a choice between IR or RF, you'll likely have a better chance at no SQ hit with IR. The only drawback to IR is that it is line-of-sight (where RF can be transmitted from the next room in most cases)

And since these are still PS/2-connected keyboards, they work with the driver already in your super-slimmed cMP/cPlay system.

Then the gold is in using a remote device to send the keyboard commands to the PS/2-connected, IR wireless keyboard's dongle. This provides you with a smaller, more convenient remote device AND keys that correspond to what you want to do, so you don't have to remember that you enter Shift+Home for Volume Up. You just hit the 'Volume Up' key on the remote! KEWL, huh?

And this is where I'm a little stuck so far. To do this, you need a learning, macro/activity-capable remote that will learn AND transmit the keyboard commands. With the keyboard that I've used, I've only found one remote that works... An HP IPAQ 2210 with the Nevo remote software. Other remotes MIGHT work with other keyboards... But since I only have two types and one sounds better in my system, I'm sticking with better sounding one. Other IPAQs with the Nevo 2.0 software will likely also work... See the link to the IPAQ Wiki in my previous where it lists those models. And the guy who turned me onto this trick said that it was something he had commonly done, but did suggest that he generally used higher-end learning remotes in these setups (which can range from $50-$500).

My suggestion for those who want to do this today is to get one of the keyboards I recommended in my previous post, setup a separate power PS/2 extension using batteries (I'd suggest disposable D-cells to start), and get one of the HP IPAQs that is listed as coming with the Nevo 2.0 software in the IPAQ Wiki. The IPAQ 2210 definitely works, but I strongly expect that any of the other models with the Nevo 2.0 software will work ok. If someone tries this, I'm happy to work with you to get your remote working right.

Then, if you want to help in the search for alternate remote, try other learning remotes to see if they can learn and then transmit the commands to these keyboards (I typically try the Skip Back '[' and Skip Forward ']' keys as my test cases as they are easy to program and hear the results if they work). Try any learning remotes you have around the house, any your friends might have, any you can purchase and easily return if they don't work. Again, I've tried both RCA (RCRN06GR) and Logitech (Harmony 600) remotes, along with the old Griffin Techologies Total Remote (which you won't find anyway). And there are other smartphone options today, such as Griffin Technologies' Iphone / Android phone remote devices.

Here's the pix of my remote screen:

Theob, I know this was a long answer to your questions, but I hope I've given the basic info that I left out in the beginning.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.