Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: using external HHDs and Wireless Mouse

I built my PC around Zalman TNN 300...

Mine is still operational (and am very reluctant to move it). The retailer where I get this was very proud that a recording studio is using it. Anyway, I'm getting brilliant results with the HD160XT as well - and that's using ESI's Juli@ card which is 4 times cheaper than my RME HDSP 9652.

What are your thoughts about taking hard drives physically out of the case for reasons other then power pollution (I do not care about looks), would it be beneficial to have them outside for heating and RFI/EMI reasons?

It would be an improvement as vibrations and HDDs radiation is taken away. Vibrations do impact jitter but this is not as significant as power supply noise (both ripple and ground). My preference is for a good case that dampens these HDD vibrations. The heat is not an issue: its more important that temperature remains constant as varying temperatures cause clock jitter (that's why they have temperature compensated crystal oscillators - TXCO/OCXO/VCTCXO). This is also the reason why source equipment is on 7x24. Varying temperature has more jitter impact than vibrations.

If you plan to install this separately, let us know of the results.

I am not following the idea of powering externally wireless mouse USB receiver?
In my PC I have mouse and keyboard connected to PS/2 ports, all USB ports are disabled, so I assume I am as clean as possible, hard drives aside?

When playing music I have no keyboard. Mouse is a Logitech wireless one which operates via a USB receiver device. This USB receiver provides a wireless connection to mouse and in turn the mobo sees a normal mouse. This functionality requires power which it takes from the USB 5V line. Hence, I source this power from GD.

In your case, you have a standard mouse connection which would consume a very small amount of power from the PS/2 mouse port. My need was to be able to change CDs from my listening chair... problem comes when using wireless mouse receivers which operate at 2.4GHz and I would hear its interference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.