Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Not a good idea to load WINDOWS yet

Going this route, I can format, partition and load music on the HDD (per your recommendations) through my laptop without going through a OS install.

Yes - no problem at all. Use your laptop's Disk Manager and partition the target HDD into (say) two system partitions and a data partition.

I'd resist the temptation to make the system partitions too small. You'll probably get away with two or 2.5GB (I think it was me that suggested that in the first place so blame me, not cics) but you might be safer with 4 GB even if you end up not using most of it.

I'd use the default sector size for the system partitions but go for 64k sectors on the music drive (slightly more efficient). A "Quick format" is fine and, well, quicker.

You can then copy over all your music data. You could start the WinXP install on the laptop but, as you'll only save yourself an hour at most, I'd suggest you leave all that until you have the machine the drive is going to run on. Particularly if you're not used to installing XP, it's easier.

BTW, be sure to disable whatever you're going to disable in BIOS (LAN, audio, etc) before you install XP - it's simpler than installing them and then taking them out again.

But formatting, data copying and so on? Get stuck in. Also getting used to using an imagefile utility would be time well spent.

It'll keep you out the bars at least.

HTH

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.