Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I do not think he thinks it bad

I just thought it was interesting. CERTAINLY NOT a bad regulator. I think it is a big step up from the older generation.

The main reason he gave was the fact with his new DAC he needed more voltage rails and this was easier to do without all of those regulators.

It was not said, but implied, that he must have thought it sounded at lease as good without it.

I went with the BELLESON because it was small and easy to place right at JULI@. I am sure there are some better approaches but they are bigger(I am guessing!). The fellow at BELLESON told me the bad 'scope pictures were made using the regulator I had first intended to use. YIKES!

The dreaminess meant that the edges were softer, very euphonic. Like I said the images sharpened with the reg but there was a toll in that liquidity which was a distortion, though an attractive one. Not to imply the BELLESON adds no distortion of its own ...

I am going to use the LT3080 everywhere but the 5 volts rail. Only because I already have the 1083 and can't imagine it making a big difference there. My thinking (not saying experience) is that getting the noise out of the supplies to pure digital devices is worthwhile for our purposes but going to extremes might only result in the tiniest of improvements where more might be gained with efforts elsewhere. If I had an unlimited budget I would say, "what the hell", but I do not.

I thought you were using the "new" board, which is why I asked about the latency. I remember on the old board that was a BIOS choice. The new board gives you no choice, hence the PCI LATENCY tool.

My phono amp, which was a temporary solution while I build a John Broskie AIKIDO phono, is the ALTMANN. I used to think it sounded pretty good. It did sound really good compared to my old cMP set-up. Now the new digital system makes it sound really closed in and lifeless. That is how happy I am with this new set-up.

At least I can listen to music while I finish this absurdly long running project.

Thanks for the advice on powering the HDD's. I am using WD CAVIAR BLACK and I think they do spin at the higher speed. I am thinking I will use fixed voltage three pin regs for this. LAZY!

I worry that Thorsten is like Allen Wright (I greatly respect them both) I think what they show you is not enough to get the results they are speaking about so I do not pay too much attention. I am not going to try making a DAC. I do have a pair of those TDA1541 chips, though. Single crwons, when they were being made so I know they are not fakes.

I am completely satisfied with Dave Davenport's line stage and DAC. That is another area I am not going to delve into.

You can see the Dave's new schematic for the power supply at his website: raleighaudio.com. It is not ridiculous amounts of capacitance!

I wish I had thought to give him a hard time about the minimal reactance aspect of the new supply! That is funny.

I am jumping back and forth between your note and mine so forgive the disjointed nature of this.

By the way, have you figured out what jackwong was doing with his memory? I cannot for the life of me make any sense of it at all!

Work does get in the way of all of this, doesn't it?

Thanks for your help, as always,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.