HTTP/1.0 200 OK Content-type: text/html

Can't connect to database, trying again....HTTP/1.0 200 OK Content-type: text/html

Can't connect to database, trying again.... If at first you don't succeed... - GStew - Computer Audio Asylum

Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

If at first you don't succeed...

After living with the P4 powered from my 'dirty' AC line and liking it, I set out to modify my fully-linear supply this weekend to have two AC cords instead of using my old linear-hybrid supply to power my P4.

Did that Saturday evening. Didn't sound good... flat, lifeless, a bit harsh. I let it warm up a bit, but it never came on-song.

I was puzzled on this one. I used the power cord and fuse-holder from my linear-hybrid and just added it onto the fully-linear. I did swap the AC cords between the P4 and the ATX-20. Even though the cords are different sections of an aftermarket cord I cut up, the plug on the one from the linear-hybrid might be better (it was the one that came on the aftermarket cord, the other was a Lowes-special), so I put it on the ATX-20 supplies and used the other for the P4.

Only other significant difference is that the linear-hybrid uses the MSR860 diodes and the fully-linear the DSEP30-06A's, which I had preferred when I was getting the fully-linear running (I did swap between the two at one point).

So this morning, I swapped the AC cords between the two supplies and took extra care to make sure all the solder joints were good. Put the fully-linear supply back in and I could tell immediately (no warmup) that the issue was solved.

I was prepared to swap out the diodes on the P4 supply too, but there's no need. Actually, the sound is a little better now than using the linear-hybrid's P4... a tiny bit more transparent and dynamic. I attribute that to the DSEP30-06A diodes in the P4 AND to having one less transformer powered up (I never disconnected the P4 power supply on the fully-linear supply when I was comparing, just swapped between the two P4s).

Dunno... might have been the AC plugs, might have been a bad solder joint (although none of them looked suspect).

In any case, I am very comfortable in saying that even with a high-test linear supply, the P4 is better powered from your 'dirty' AC line as recommended by cics.

Because of fiddling with this, I haven't had a chance to try the LT3080 regulators in more positions... likely later this week. I have the LT3080 regs made up and ready to install, but instead spent the rest of my 'audio' time this weekend working on a new set of raw DC supplies for another Juli@ & a not-yet-installed Buffalo-II DAC. Both will be using shunt-regulated supplies which like a couple of volts more headroom than I have in my current setup.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

Edits: 08/22/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • If at first you don't succeed... - GStew 19:01:26 08/22/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.