Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How about when using the I2S "output" -

[either disconnect I2S ground at buf32s or juli@ (but not both) then run a separate wire from juli@ ground to buf32s ground. Is that correct?]

No. The correct way is to disconnect I2S ground at buf32s only. If you do it the other way round, the ground shield (now starting at the buf32s) would need to run much longer way (i.e. through the added ground wire) before connecting to the julia@ ground. This is a one-way-only exercise.

[Ok I just tried disconnecting the coax I2S grounds from the Buf32s and I added a separate wire from juli@ ground to Buf32s ground.]

That's correct.

One more thing, the grounding wire/material may affect the speed of signal transfer. This is called "Skin effect" - tendency of an AC current to distribute itself within a conductor so that the current density near the surface of the conductor is greater than that at its core. That is, the electric current tends to flow at the "skin" of the conductor. The skin effect causes the effective resistance of the conductor to increase with the frequency of the current because much of the conductor carries little current. Therefore, a single strand Solid wire will have more resisitance to high frequency AC curent. Multi-strand wires, preferably, silver coated, will usually do better.

[Sonically I can't tell yet....need an hour to warm up... but initially it works with a lot more output from Buf32s...sounds louder/stronger.]

You have got three ground wires in your previous config., this may not create ground loops provided that all the ground shields are connected to the same grounding point on both boards. In your previous config. with three sheilds connected, this may present three times the capacitive loads of a single cable to the I2S inputs. Note that the I2S outputs at the juli@ are not bufferred. Also note that capacitive load would require current to discharge but the same is lacking in the juli@ I2S output.

A new ground wire needs some time to break-in. The sonical difference may be some refinement in accuracy and depth of music, in particular at low level. Hope the alternative gnd connection will improve the SQ.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.