Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Further thoughts - USB advantage - easy to disconnect

Of course, this would be bothersome but it might be worth it.

A couple of suggestions.

1. A headless setup would probably have at least the same result and possibly a better one. :>) It also has the merit of not costing anything to try and, if successful, of leaving you a KVM to the good.

2. I doubt if a USB monitor will help very much. IME, you can't disable the main display in BIOS though you can select its interface (e.g. embedded or PCIe). XP typically assigns it an interrupt whether or not it's actually driving anything. Meanwhile, XP will either assign an interrupt to your USB monitor or poll it so you end up with two devices, not one. (I'm not sure how interrupts versus polling pans out in XP.)

This got me to wonder if my large monitor (21 inches) and its rather high native resolution requires more work than the tiny monitor in the ZALMAN case .

Why not set the graphics chip to a low resolution (letting your monitor do the conversion for the purposes of the test) and see if the CPU load changes while you run e.g. one of those dreadful XP tutorials?

I'm no display expert (to put it mildly) but if graphics cards use vector graphic techniques to generate the raster image for a basic display of type (as e.g. laser printers do) then the difference in our scenario will probably be negligible. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know and can't find the answer but there must be some here who do.

BTW, if you Google "USB polling rate", you'll find discussions between nerdy gamers about altering the polling rate for a USB mouse. See link. (Seems they even do it on the Mac - now there's a thought . . . )

Edits: 08/30/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.