Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Effect of ferrite beads on dc power lines too P24, P4 and/or too Pico PSU’s

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your informatieve response.

I have no experience with placing ferrite beads on power lines and interconnects in analogue audio systems. Only after reading ‘Digital Hardware Design’ by Ivor Catt, David Walton, Malcolm Davidson, (thanks to a tip from inmate Ryelands) I got interested in the effect of (ground) noise in my cMP setup and lowering/filtering it.
see http://www.ivorcatt.org/digital-hardware-design.htm

But most important of all I learned that effects on sound quality and avoiding & reducing noise in analogue audio have hardly any resemblance with those in digital (audio) systems.

Just a wild guess, but my feeling tells me that Inmate Maxamillioy’s ground tweaks (and others) are toying around with the more subtle symptoms of ‘the pin1 problem’, where the circuit boards common trace in someway is connected too the chassis, (cables-)shields, power safety ground, ect. and thus therefore (unwanted) currents are allowed to flow in the signal reference ground. In analogue systems this can lead too a broad variety of all kinds of symptoms (not only too the well know classic hum).

In my view this in the only resemblance analogue audio systems and digital systems both have in common: they both need a clean and stable 0 volt. The cleaner and the more stable O volt: the better.
With this in mind I agree proper grounding is very, very important. But I also find most the most complicated. Especially in digital systems.

From reading the article ‘Example of Noise Suppression in DVD Players’
http://www.murata.com/products/emc/case/household/pdf/d_4.pdf
I now realize what a noisy mess it must be on a PC MoBo.

I want too concentrate on conducted noise in my cMP setup. I think that radiated noise is of great importants in an analogue audio setup, but of lesser importants in my cMP setup.

I use 2 Pico’s. One for ‘clean’ components and one for ‘dirty’ components. I use Pico’s because I think Pico’s are less noisy than standard ATX because they only have too switch from 12V -> 5 and 3.3 volt, while an standard ATX had too switch from 230 -> 12,5 and 3.3 volts. But I don’t know if that is really true.

Because Pico’s are still switchers I want too try is ferrite beads used after the pico (place on an P24 extension cable) have impact on sound quality.
I also want to try the effect on the power lines feeding feeding the Pico’s.

I’ll report back when the ferrite beads have arrived.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.