Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Breakthrough in SQ and 5V Current Consumption(1.8A) - H55MD2H

A further report : the IDE controller, a regulator and 2 caps were removed from the MB. I was very cautious in taking such action because the BIOS chips are next to them. After checking they have no connection to the BIOS chips, I took them off one by one, firstly the IDE chip, then the caps and lastly the regulator.

This time I remove the IDE chip without using any soldering tool. I used a cutter to cut off the small pins around the chip. It was not soldered to the ground plane and the job was easy. The regulator was removed using two soldering irons.

The computer is working fine after such removal.

The IDE chip needs two power sources, one directly from the 3.3V and the other from the regulator which is also powered by the same 3.3V, the two caps are for the input and output of the regulator.

I measure the 3.3V current which is 556ma. I don't know whether the reduction is solely due the above removal or as a result of all removals because I didn't measured the 3.3V current during my last attempt.

Take a closer look at what can be removed from the H55M D2H MB.

Edits: 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10 06/06/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Breakthrough in SQ and 5V Current Consumption(1.8A) - H55MD2H - jackwong96 07:39:42 06/06/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.