Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: PSU linear power -again!

Mihaylov,

Thanks for checking. Dang, it would have been a nice simplification to the linear supplies.

As for the foil-ish things, those are damping materials.

I'm very big on vibration control.

I can't say that I heard any diff from the material on the SATA cable.

And didn't try those caps with and without.

But other cap, case, and heatsink dampings have been very audible. Additional damping on my amps (on the clips that attach the devices to the the heatsinks) was what made B38 preferable to B37 in my system.

The foil-looking stuff is EAR material available from Michael Percy. I also use Dynamat. I generally prefer Dynamat on cases & the EAR mtl on components.

On my linear supply, all the caps, transformers, and rectifiers are damped. Also the structural materials were chosen for vibration control... bamboo mounting structures with brass hardware (no steel hardware anywhere in supply). Bamboo bases were also damped with combo of Dynamat Xtreme & regular.

My Zalman case is also extensively damped, as are my other supplies and the heatsinks on the motherboard. Also my amps, my volume control, and speaker crossovers & structure.

Much more to try, but this has been a fruitful excursion over time.

Must listen to the effect when doing... when I damped the caps in the linear supply, first used Dynamat Xtreme... great clarity and extended & strong bass, but tunefulness was impared. Replaced with EAR damping, very slightly less clarity & bass, but very tuneful by comparison. And I hadn't expected any changes with that damping as the caps are already mounted to the bamboo bases with a resiliant double-stick tape.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. If you haven't tried these, I can strongly recommend these two tweaks to your linear supplies:

1. Add another supply for providing the control voltages instead of taking them off the ATX-20/24 +5v.

2. Seperate the AC input to the P4 & peripheral supplies and take them to a separate AC circuit in your listening room as per cics recommendations.
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.