Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP and cPlay will run on Vista, but

Actually, you can set up A.W.E. in Vista Ultimate, Enterprise, and I think Business versions - almost exactly same procedure as in XP.
cPlay is fine in Vista, but cMP is a bit harder to set up - have to get everything just right to get into cMP mode.

cMP has one big problem in Vista: When you go to Add folders to the cMP library, all you can see in the browser is the Desktop. This gives you 2 annoying options: 1 - have all your music stored on the Desktop (bad, because then your music is in the same partition as the OS, and all is lost with a system crash) 2 - edit all your cuesheets to show the full file address and store the cuesheets on the Desktop (better, but a big editing job)

There are a couple of reasons Vista doesn't sound as good as XP imo, (although an unoptimized XP probably sounds worse): 1. You can't do as much optimisation with Vista - some services and processes can't be disabled, and it is not possible to get minlogon to work. (I did manage to fool WRP and replace winlogon, but minlogon simply won't operate on reboot) 2. There is just something about Vista audio - it produces great clarity, especially in higher range, but with what I have come to call the Vista "twang" - over-accentuated highs with a bit of an edge. To me the overall balance and the midrange are not as pleasing as a fully optimised XP setup.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.