Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: why so different?

Hi Mark,

Here are some of my considerations. I tried to follow a bit from the parts lists and threads as well as explore areas of interest that I had (e.g. SFF CarPuter, HDMI audio to use existing DACs and room correction, avoid discontinued software, etc.)

The CICS MemoryPlayer Components List identifies the following. I do not believe I strayed too far except for the MoBo.

1) OS - XP, Vista or Win7 with XP having the most teaking options.

I picked Win7 because it was in the list of recommended OSes and XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. I have moved all of my machines to Win7 for common support (except for my Linux boxes). I have also had better luck with 64 bit performance with my other machines so thought I would try it for audio. Either way, I can switch OS's by simply swapping the boot drive. I am not locked into the OS.

5) Motherboard - Gigabyte variants

I picked the Asus AT5IONT all in one because I wanted to experiment with a multiple things cheaply. Unfortunately, the Deluxe version did not appear. The Deluxe had a mini-PCIe port used for WiFi. I was going to see if I could use the mini-PCIe to house a low power flash/boot drive and use the SATA ports for the library drive(s). It also has HDMI audio out for my HT room which would allow me to use the DACs in my Pre/Pro (including room correction) and my TV for the display using one HDMI cable. It was small enough of a footprint to also be used as a CarPuter and had a PCIe slot to try a sound card if the onboard was not good enough. So basically it was small form factor experiment to try different options between the home and car. If it did not work, I can convert it to a low power file server for the office.

7) PSU - Antec's EarthWatts and Zallman Heatpipe models.

I picked a PICO because because I wanted a quiet, fanless PS that would work in both the home and car during prototypes. I also see others on this forum using PICO supplies with good reviews or PICO hybrids so a PICO supply did not seem out of the question. The PICO is fanless and has been tweaked by adding a linear supplies to it.

10) Soundcard - ASIO Compatible, PCI, PCIe or USB

I started with the onboard sound card and then experimented with a higher speced Xonar Essence STX. The Xonar fits all of the requirements listed in the components list and offers 24/192K. I am not married to it and may try a Lynx or RME. Have already using an EMU in the past.

11) Alternate PSU - Granite Digital PS

I see that there has been work done by isolating dirty components by offloading them onto their own isolated Granite Digital PS, so I was going to try that next. Again it is in the threads and the components list. My sound card takes a 4-pin molex connector and was considering trying to give it its own power clean dedicated supply.

I have not done anything with the USB power yet, just disabling all of the unused USB ports and only use 1 for a mouse/keyboard.

Sincerely,
Tim

Edits: 01/05/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.