Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Don't know if there is a relation between speed and SQ.

Hi Mark,
I do not know the answer to your - good and necessary - questions, but with some common sense I would answer them as follows:
"- is it because of less power consumption?"

Probably not much, maybe to a small degree: My WD scorpio blue 2,5" HD that I use now inside my cmp has a power consumption of 2,5W (read and write) versus 2,25W for the Kingston you have. BTW even bigger SSDs like a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB have roughly the same power consumption: Around 2W, which is even a bit lower than the older Kingston SSD now 8GB. So this partly answers my own question "is smaller necessarily better than bigger?" Answer: No, if the newer technology is inherently better (lower power consumption, higher speed) than the older one.

- is it because there is no motor in a SSD?

seems more plausible! Vibration is never good.

- is it because a HDD pollutes the PSU lines, which than spread trough PSU lines too other area’s?

Why should it pollute them more than a SSD - also I have a separate small PSU only for my 2,5" HD.

- Is there pollution from the PSU (that powers the HDD) leaking trough the HDD via the sata cable onto the MoBo?

Seems a bit esoteric to me, like your other 2 points, but what do I know....?

My take would be that a much (!) more important parameter relevant for the critical micro (or better: nano) timing of music reproduction is the seek time of the HDD or SSD: There lies - next to the transfer speed - the biggest difference between HDD and SSD. A typical SSD has around 0,1ms, a typical HDD around 10ms (the better ones), which is a factor of 100x slower.

For the OS being on a fast or slow SSD my idea was that during playback the OS may have to access data on the SSD - both seek time and transfer rates should ideally be as low as possible in order to not compromise the audio reproduction.

Well those are my thought, but I will probably simply try out a newer SSD like the OCZ Vertex 2 60GB and I will see how it goes. Will report back later once I have installed it. Maybe till next week- end.

Cheers
Bernie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Don't know if there is a relation between speed and SQ. - alba63 04:10:03 01/31/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.