Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Using Explorer as cMP's music browser

Cics told us to set power schemes to always on.

His setup is different.

If you want to turn the conventional HDD off, you can do so in Display Properties > ScreenSaver > Power and set your drives to turn off in, say, 3 minutes.

If OTOH you don't want to turn the drives off, I'd have thought that that might make the exercise a tiny bit pointless.

As I saw it, the idea was to try using an SS storage medium only during playback. The snag, of course, is that these are typically too small for most music libraries. What I'm suggesting is a way round that problem, not a perfect solution but a solution nonetheless. Why not just try both options and let us know?

Whatever, I've just tried using a USB Memory Stick to hold the target data on the lines you suggest. I think you could well be right - it does seem to sound rather better. As feared, it's as slow as old boots at writing data though it reads fine.

Well worth persevering with for a bit longer though I fear an SSD is still a bit pricey for me at the moment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.