Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yes Asrock AD525PV3 is much better

Hi JackWong, yes, the AD525PV3 is sounding much better!
I'm very happy, and even more happy when i think about implementing your hw-tweaks on bypassing caps and dedicated DRAM-psu!!!

Same setup for both AD525PV3 and GA-H55M-USB3 boards:
- minimal nLite install, MPS-Multiprocessor
- AWE
- minlogon
- boot.ini tweaked as per steppes mem=256
No hardware tweaks (only Juli@ has dedicated psu)
Edit: yes 1 difference in HW setup: AD525 runs on 30GB-SSD (40 cd's stored), h55m has 120GB-SSD (80 cd's stored). I'll check effect on sq in next weeks.
Edit 2: after comparing 30GB and 120GB SSD's in AD525PV3: subtle difference in favour of 30GB SSD. Conclusion: AD525PV3 beats H55M-USB3 with ease.

AD525PV3 provides more detail, more musical. I really heared some new details. In multi-voice songs the location of the singers is better, more subtle.
And it needs less power: h55m could run 6 hours on SLA-batteries, AD525pv3 sings 10 hours.

Nice thing is, there is only one cpu power phase. Simple design, less switching, more constant power-draw (i think but not sure - i'm sure about the SQ though). Easy to tweak/bypass with sikorel-Wima combo's.

Other nice thing is the Rcomp control in bios. Playing with these settings can provide different optimum-settings for instrumental / sing-a-song / classical. Three different bios settings can be stored in bios (like the h55m).

So if one could do with 88.2/96 upsampling or less, one should definitely try the ad525pv3. I'll keep the h55m for future use in a roomcorrection setup.

Of course i'm still very interested in your h55m-usb3 development. We have a shared reference now (untweaked h55m-usb3). During the next weeks, after burning in, i'll do another A-B test (ad525-h55m) and report.

Question: Could you have a look at the 2nd picture in
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/9/98866.html
Top left corner: between sound-chip and pci-slot, you can see a tiny black smd-souldered 'thing'. There is another right next to it (in the picture it's hidden behind the pci-slot). Could this be the choke for powering sound-chip? So if i remove it i disable the sound-chip?
Is it the same thing as you described in http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/9/98886.html ?

Besides that i can't wait until your next post on DRAM-psu!!

Cheers!
Douwe

Edits: 12/21/11 12/21/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.