Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Nobody ever disagreed

It is accepted that the shunt regulator is the way to go by most. The problem is that the shunt regulator is very inefficient and not easily procured. For the five volts line there is not much choice either - for the power needed you are stuck with the LT1083 or paralleled smaller power "three pins". None of the "super" series regs can handle the power, either, so the choices have been few and unexciting.

The point was, since I know I have no idea how to begin, how does one come up with one? I have looked for years for something that would work better than the ubiquitous three pin regulator and could not get myself too excited about building a supply with them

Hynes seems to be too busy, and, unfortunately, too expensive. I had asked him about this four years ago. He never came up with a proposal. And, to repeat, if he did it would cost more than I want to spend. His regulator, since it contains an error amplifier would be more accurate in keeping a steady voltage but I am not that sure that that, for my application (having a steady AC line) is as important as it may be for those who live in dense urban areas.

This circuit is elegant and simple, fourteen parts, scalable and has the benefit of many other hobbyists having built it in its HV form.

Just needs a LARGE heatsink more than anything else.

For the record I posted a reference to HYNES shunt regs before you even were involved with this forum. So maybe I am being snootier than you?

When I got my reg for the RAKK DAC we discussed this and he started buying parts for the first generation GIGABYTE set-up which he has never put into operation. He has not been able to get himself interested in doing this.

As usual, I do not doubt his reg is better than the SALAS, the question is how much better? If one has an unlimited budget, go for it - but, I think one can find better, and more productive uses for money in maximizing enjoyment of their music system. Of course, I wish I had an unlimited budget ...

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Nobody ever disagreed - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 07:39:51 09/17/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.