Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: CICS Computer with MSB Dac

It's refreshing to see MSB doing good work on jitter. They're the first manufacturer I've seen that understands how to measure jitter distortion. MSB's jitter paper is a good read however, their 2ps jitter level is very optimistic:

Based on my calculations, periodic jitter (on 11.025kHz input) will yield side band distortion levels of ~-149db and not the -137dbrms (-134db actual) shown in their plots. At this indicated level, jitter is ~12ps. Overall jitter measurement requires measuring all jitter spectra (at many different levels) and express the overall jitter as RSS (Root Sum of Squares). Periodic jitter doesn't occur at a given jitter frequency but over a wide spectrum. Hence, its always good to have a PLL based XO design to remove jitter at high frequencies.

In my experience, transports have far larger impact on jitter distortion at DAC outputs. The DAC is "tethered" to the transport. So you better off upgrading your cMP² power supplies (to linear) instead of a new DAC. My reason for switching to dCS was for 192k input (as my AA Prestige SE only does 96k). They are both excellent DACs.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrading my speakers... any recommendations?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.