Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Moving up to the H61 boards & slimmed-system HW Questions & Musings...

Don't remember when JW mentioned which revision of the board was recommended. I suspect when he bought the board he got what was available.

Getting an adapter is not a problem if your heatsink has hole spacing that will fit the new footprint of the socket. If it doesn't I doubt you will be able to use an adapter anyway. If it does look at the mfg's website.

I had been using SATA DOM (128mb) with my previous FAT32 JW install. Over the weekend I converted to NTFS, and YES the micro-shell will work with NTFS just as Serge said it would BUT for some reason the same install I had made with an OCZ SSD will not work when copied onto the DOM. Same procedure I have used for several installs that were all FAT32 - but now with the NTFS install it says there is a disk problem. I deleted and created the partition a few times, used different sizes of partitions, can't remember the name of the thing with the numbers but I tried DEFAULT and 4096 and it made no difference. I can find nothing on the web that hints at a problem using NTFS and DOM SATA but I am having a problem.

I used the DOM just for the sake of eliminating clutter. I do not hear any difference. With the FAT32 installs I used a 50mB partition for both the OCZ and the DOM. But, if you are to use FAT32 you should not have any problem at all.

I went to NTFS after Serge mentioned how much memory FAT32 uses for the HDD. I have no idea what this means but I thought why not try it? I do not hear any difference and if there is one it is so minor that my ears have forgot what the old one "did". I still have a music HDD in FAT32 so I will eventually try them both but at this point I am not motivated to do it. The NTFS version sounds very good.

Taking the components off is actually pretty easy once you resign yourself to do it. One thing I did that gave me confidence is to makes some heatsink/shields with copper sheeting to guard components you do not want to remove. I used a MAKITA heatgun that had an 0.5 inch accessory nozzle made focusing the hear easier.

There is no question the H61 is superior. And it will make life much easier on your power supply.

Are you going with the single or dual core processor? That is the big decision. Also, update the BIOS. They recently added a new update.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.