Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thanks for the technique advice

wish I had thought of that!

I feel sure your PICO set-up is exceedingly well thought out. I have never been one to have to try everything. I just get confused.

I feel confident the pure linear approach has to be better so I will slwoly creep along until I have it implemented. Nonetheless I do appreciate your generous offer.

Those exploding batteries seem to be intriguing. My philosophy has always been the more exotic and dangerous the device the better it has to sound. I am not trying to be funny. I am thinking of those mercury vapor rectifiers, the KEITH MONKS tonearm with the little mercury baths to eliminate the twisting of the lead wires, running gear without fuses (it does make a BIG difference), you get the idea.

Of course, batteries are controversial. I know you admire Peter Daniel's work as I do and he thinks they are a dead end, along with some other folks whose opinion I take very seriously. I think it all has to do with what the rest of your system is composed of, like everything else, since, as you say, everything matters, and everything matters individually and within the system.

Back to batteries, I do suspect that PD has not used BIG batteries and if you are not using high amp-hour one's you are wasting your time. But they are a pain because of the charging and these LiPo's require being placed in a bag to contain the possibility of an explosion. I do worry I would get tires of that. At least with lead/acid you can use one of those "tender" chargers and not have to worry. My phono stage of the moment uses the battery I bought for the PICO experiment ...

I wonder how much power the regulators require and how much quicker they would deplete the charge especially for the 5 volts rail. I will stick with AC.

Thanks again for the help and the offer,
Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.