Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Certainly would make the job simpler

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your responce.

Indeed it would make the job more easy.

But the linear PSU model NMC 101 S from FG-ELECTRONIK also has my special interest because FG-ELECTRONIK not only stresses the absence of HF-pollution but they also stress the importance of (dynamic) load regulation.

I have no education or background in electronics, so I don’t know if it is really important, but I’m under the impression that a very good load regulation is also critical for sound quality coming from digital resource. I don’t see any in dept articles on the importance of (dynamic) load regulation for digital resources, but I do see more and more hints that point in this direction.

* Some producers of PSU’s for audiophile digital resources stress the importance of there PSU’s designs having a very low internal resistance.

* On this forum I think it was Bertel (if remember correctly) who stressed the importance of low resistance in order to maintain a stable voltage and steady current flow too the mobo.

* And also in this (sales talk!) article on upgrading the squeezebox PSU the importance of dynamic load regulation is mentioned.
http://www.squeeze-upgrade.com/philosophy-behind-sbooster-concept-pm-30.html#A%20linear%20regulated%20power%20supply%20improves%20the%20sound%20quality%20only%20for%20X%
(Although I seriously doubt if the series resistance of the DC power line is a real problem in that matter).

I agree, it looks like if a de-tuned cMP PC is not a difficult load for a PSU. But on the other hand: some inmates on this forum do suggest that all the sound quality differences that can be heard on a cMP-setup through under-volting, under-clocking, using less RAM, an SSD, ect etc are because off less stress and demand on the PSU.

I’ll wait (ad hope) for some more response from other inmates, but since the PSU is only 139,- euro’s (so not super expensive) it might be worth to give it a try.

Mark

Edits: 09/04/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.