Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Revenge of the Power Supply Follies...

Greg,

now that's really interesting! I see from your pic in the other thread that (since it's the 'dirty' PS) you use this to power USB and HDD with it, right? Anything else?

Now: Apart from the USB bit, is there anywhere the power from this PS comes near the mobo / soundcard / CPU ? I have been under the impression since that this 'dirty' PS doesn't affect the 'clean' circuit and thus SQ in any way, so I try to understand and am looking for possible explanations why it in fact DOES matter. Do you (or others) already have any ideas on this...?

I have made a contrary experience: In my setup, the only two "outside world connections" to the mobo (Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, apart from P4 and p24 of course which I power with battery PS) are the SATA cable and the USB cable which I have modded as recommended to receive power from the Granite Digital piece. I have a "regular" mouse with a cord (no wireless) as only USB device (unplugging doesn't have any effect on SQ), 7" LCD in my Zalman case is only taking 12V power in, touch surface is not used. So all in all a rather "purist" setup. I power my SSD, the USB two-pin plus the 12V line for the LCD screen all from one Granite Digital. Now: I have tested and experienced that it doesn't make any difference in SQ, noise, interference etc. if I use the Granite, a linear PS, a very cheap wall wart - or if I unplug the Molex for LCD and USB altogether (SATA plug for SSD of course has to remain connected)! So maybe the HD is the difference between our two cases? Would really be interested to find out - there surely is another valuable learning behind this! :-)

Cheers,
Robert

Edits: 03/25/09 03/25/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.