Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

LOL!

LOL!

I'd never call any of my mistakes brilliant, but this one was at least fortuitous!

But then of course, JackWong already knew this for everything but the ES2L board! Oh well, so much for 'new' discoveries!

I'm curious how your choke-filtered supply will work. I've been looking at John Swenson's computer supply... I can find a link to it if you haven't seen it. I get the feeling he does a very good job of designing a power supply that has accounted for all the important factors PLUS I get the impression he listens carefully too... a great (and all too rare) combo.

I'm fully intending to move to choke-filtered supplies. But that will have to wait until I re-case my setup... I just can't fit them into my current setup.

I am also curious about a comment you made a few weeks back. I got the impression you'd be doing this supply without regulators. I saw in another thread that Thorsten is doing that in some places, so there must be merit to it.. but it sounds a bit dangerous given any significant AC line voltage variation. Let us know how that works out.

On the alternative regulator scheme you mentioned, I'm planning to try something similar to that too, but not using three-terminal regulators. I'm hearing some very good things about shunt regulators and one of the more favored ones for DIY use is the Salas Simple Shunt from this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/143693-simplistic-salas-low-voltage-shunt-regulator.html

But even better, in this thread, Salas shows his shunt circuit that'll provide sufficient current to handle the 5v ATX line:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/168631-5v-high-current-low-noise-regulator.html

While I doubt these will beat PH's offerings, they should be pretty good, better than most, and pretty inexpensive.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

Edits: 07/28/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • LOL! - GStew 20:29:54 07/28/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.