Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: FAT v. NTFS

Any advice or experience to offer?

First, ensure you always have an up-to-date image file of the system partition so you can quickly restore it in the event of some trivial error changing it (as here) from OS to US. These things happen to everyone - allow for them.

Second, I see no reason ever to use FAT except on thumbdrives and the like. MS doesn't IMO do many things well but developing NTFS has to be one of them, perhaps because it bought in skills from DEC to do it. It rendered FAT obsolete about 20 years ago.

I use the default 4K sector size for the system OS but the maximum (64K) for storing music data as they consist mainly of large files in a Write Once Read Many (WORM) scenario. Before someone bites my head off, I'm NOT suggesting any sonic improvements, just a possible and marginal (but free) improvement in efficiency. Even 4K sectors support 16TB drives so capacity is not an issue either way.

DR's tip to use a PS/2-to-USB adapter as a temp fix is neat under the circs but imagefile backups are neater still in the longer term.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: FAT v. NTFS - Ryelands 02:32:36 02/13/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.