Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Juli@ VR filter

I haven't seen this modification posted so I thought I would share something back after being a long time lurker and benefiting from the huge amount of time and effort that some folks have invested in this project.

A CLC type filter can be set up on the voltage output of the Juli@ 3.3V regulator for the digital supply that gives additional filtering compared to using only smoothing capacitors. YMMV of course.

To implement, the VR 3.3v output connections (there are two) have to be lifted from the board. Then a small toroidal inductor installed between the VR and the board. Add smoothing capacitors on each lead of the inductor to ground. The inductor can be attached to the end of the board in a convenient place with a little hot glue. I found these inductors (Bourns part no. 2112-RS, 100uH, 2.4 IDC, 0.13 DCR) at Digikey for less than $3 each. I used a Nichicon Muse 100uF cap on the VR side of the inductor and a Blackgate 220 uF cap on the board side, although I don't think the size is as significant as the quality of cap, especially the second cap.

I have had this mod on my board for some time, but I did some AB testing by shorting across the inductor to really get a feel for the upgrade before making this post. In my system the sound has a quieter noise floor with more midrange detail apparent using the inductor. Care should be taken not to make the inductor too large or it can have some detrimental effects to SQ.

My Audiophile 2496 soundcard also has a similar filter arrangement on both the analog and digital voltage regs. as well as my DAC's on all the voltage regs. I also have put toroidal inductors on the supply out of a CCS (without using caps) to block the solid state sounding crud. Works well, a lot of bang for the buck.

Edits: 03/02/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.