Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Questions

...is it possible at all with this setup to pop in a cd/dvd and just press play? ie without the need to rip and store. Guess it would be a bit hard to fit a movie on the ram

Should work for DVDs. Something like WMP will play CD directly from drive - definitely not cPlay. Using drives for sound is a terrible idea.
The pulldown in cplay that refers to the available inputs only lists input 1&2 and 3&4, which from the juli@ book is analog IN and out???

cPlay will only list output channel pairs. For Juli@, 1&2 routes to analogue outs while 3&4 routes to digital outs (toslink and coax via din connector).
But does having the noise sound like a normal situation to you?

Definitely not! I would suggest revisiting all changes including BIOS to make sure they're correct. It may help to do this with the computer guy.

Also make sure you're using SRC @ 121db SNR! Inappropriate hw at 145db SNR could give such noise.
That means the USB ports on the front of the case (which provide very easy access) are non-functional

You could enable these for convenience and test if sound quality is affected. During playback, if device is connected in USB port, noise floor will be worse (by at least 3db).
Is there an option available so when I load a file into cPLAY it won't start playing till I press the remote button?

Not yet.
...with the new mobo annd h/ware upgrades, as I vaguely understand it it enables us to sample at much higher rates... But if the dacs we use can only accept 24/96 is there an advantage??

New hw allows for 145db SNR upsampling - default offers SRC @ 121db SNR which is excellent but @145db, this is state-of-the-art. Unfortunately, using it requires loads of processing power, hence new hw which provides ample CPU ability without any penalties by way of more power consumption and interference. In your case (and mine), you can now use SRC @ 145db SNR for 24/96 output. Trying same on lessor hw will result in distorted playback. This hw also caters for 24/192k. There's no down conversion.
If one of the reasons of the SQ of the cMP is that the replay comes from a very quiet and stripped down computer, would not that attribute apply equally to the burning process?...Would not the transfer in the non-optimum environment put jitter into the saved file?

Haven't tested this. Theoretically, there's merit in this argument as power supply to CD writer is superior and it would operate with much less bloat (i.e. less digital logic interference).
left it a few hours just on (is that ok?) and went to play something just now,,all crackly and distorted. I really feel that computers (even stripped down ones) and I just don't get along. Or is it a microsoft thing?

Ideally, leave cMP on 7x24. Refer to previous suggestion to check all settings - its related.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.