Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Nettop as an alternative

Hi Douwe,

thanks for your reply!
The nettop question is an interesting topic in general, I believe. And most likely relevant to many. Your statement proves that in my eyes and is exactly related ro what I'm thinking about.

I also figuered out that the fan must be the crucial part in a nettop. Besides the BIOS probably, but since nettops already run in powersaving mode by nature tweaking on that side might not be too effective, eventually.

I was wondering about several things:
- cics claims cPlay's resampling to be a very intensive calculating process. But since the Core i3 is strangled to the maximum it should work with almost any nettop CPU, shouldn't it?
- will a nettop's CPU really become too hot? I'll try it with the Lenovo S205 (equipped with an AMD E350) I'll receive soon. I hope I'll find some software to switch of the fan. I'll report on that.
- in case of effective fan control and using an SSD plus an external USB-HDD that itself is powered externally a nettop seems to be very close by nature to a desirable cMP²-system according to cics' principles, it seems to me. Some notebooks and nettops almost never spin uo the fan, so a fairly cool, fanless design seems to be generally possible. It will depend very much on the calculating power needed by cPlay's resampler since the rest of the system is suffocated anyway. WIN7 might need a lot more calculating power by itself...

More opinions please! Thanks in advance.

Eunegis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.