Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: no SSE on Alix-1D's AMD-CPU,

Hi Douwe
I have run the ALIX with 3 different power supplies. First a 19V laptop PS to test it. Worked ok. Then found an old 9v 3A PS from an old SMC access point. This I used for most of my learning time. Last evening I tapped into the linear ps I use for the WaveIO so the same supply is powering both. I figured the ALIX could potentially introduce some unwanted noise into the WaveIO so I tapped into the PS for the Alix well before the end of the filtering chain. I know this may be unconventional but seems to work well. I also cut the +5v line on the USB cable to further isolate the WaveIO from the Alix. My power supply is a 8A 12 toroid (a little overkill) into a 1.5a rectifier. Filter is CLCLC into a 5V reg then LC to WaveIO. I pick up 15V right after the first CLC filter. I figure if there is any noise coming from ALIX it will get filtered out before the WaveIO sees it. I'm really just playing around but this seems to be working really well. WaveIO needs full 500ma to run. It really does well on good power. The sound improves/changes with Cap choices. Currently have rectifier then small Panna FC then big choke/then large Sangamo can/then choke then BG F. There is a BG N right on the pins of WaveIO. I tend to roll different caps until I get the sound I like. This is pretty sweet. i bet it loves batteries.

I think the Alix on the other hand pretty much runs on anything. Slightly better SQ with the linear supply.

I'll do an AB test of CMP2 SRC vs ALIX SRC tonight and post results.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: no SSE on Alix-1D's AMD-CPU, - wlowes 17:39:04 05/05/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.