Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Good point, DR

Sorry, I do that type of thing so automatically nowadays that I don't always mention it.

I damped the crystals when I did the first mod to the Juli@'s cards... look closely at the picture below in this thread and you can see the small squares of damping materials. Then when I've replaced caps and regulators, I secure and damp them with a strip of Dynamat or 3M damping material from Michael Percy.

Also I've damped the Zalman case top and sides with pieces of Dynamat Extreme and damped all the heatsinks on my add-ons supplies and regulators and the motherboard.

And the Zalman sits on a damped stand on Herbie's damping feet with a collection of Herbie's damping pucks on the top.

My impression of all of this was that the effect was subtle... the largest improvements came from siting of the Zalman on the damping feet and the case damping. More significant was getting the HDD on damping feet with a weight block on top of it and positioning the SATA and power cables to minimize vibrations fed back into the structure.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I've also wrapped the HDD in ERS cloth plus a swatch of the stuff on the back of the Zalman touch-screen. Again, the effects were subtle if any.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Good point, DR - GStew 07:07:20 05/02/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.