Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How to Power the Memory - Part 2.2 : Three Terminal Linear Regulator

Hi Theob,

For heatsink, the one I used in Part 2.1 is the minumum requirement. The regulator will disspate more than 4W of heat. You could use one third the size of heatsink that I used in Part 2.2.

Use an iron solder to remove the choke. Heat up the soldering point and press down the pins one after another. No need to find a choke, use the one that you will desolder from the mobo. Put one choke on the output of the reg. If you have more chokes, put another on the input side of reg.

1/2 or 1/4w resisitors wil do.

No problem with ground loop if you use a seperate PS. Don't worry about the wire length, it will work. It's not a permenant setup afterall.

"I take it that in to the regulator is lead from left of 2RO in your picture and out to the board is the the lead (or hole) on the right of 2RO"

That's not correct.r
Only the hole close to the ram slot will be used. The output terminal of the Reg. goes to this hole, with a choke in between.

The input to the reg. and 0V shouild be taken from the P24 connector. 3.3V (input to reg) and 0V both taken benneath the P24 socket. Plug in the P24 and you will see the colour of wires. The 3.3V is organge and 0V is black. One set of these wires just happen to be located on the edge of the socket near the choke, connect (solder) benneath the organge wire. This wire will be connected to the input of reg.(if you have more chokes, put one in between) Do the same for the 0V black wire which will connect to the Ground of the reg.

A new idea

I am going to power the RAM by using 3.3V Lifepo battery. Since you have the same, so you may want try this before I do. It should work better than NiMh batteries.

You need:

a 3.3V =>10AH battery(small ones parellel them), 10W 0.75 ohm and 10W 0.82 ohm resistors, 16V 4700uf cap.

Simplily connect + of battery to one end of 0.75ohm, the other end of the 0.75ohm to the hole nearest to the RAM slot. Connect - of battery to any ground of mobo(black wire). You may need a switch for start up or may twist the wires for connection. You also need to solder a 4700uf Cap, - to Ov of Mobo, + to the only hole on the mobo, i.e. the 0.75ohm R and + of cap go to this hole, and - to the ground.

Make connection and measure the voltage on the other end of the 0.75V R, which should be around 1.5V, then power up the mobo.

And then enjoy music and the improvements which will be more significant than any of the tweaks you've tried or even their accummlated effects.

You may change to 0.82ohm to see if it will boot at lower volatge.

Edits: 12/14/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.