Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RAM timings have been key ingredient for me

Using i3 530 & GA-H55M-UD2H, destined to be a mainly video media pc for a friend, I've taken a side trip putting cMP on it temporarily. I started going for lowest clocks/lowest voltages, but until I started using low RAM latency to lead me, I was somewhat disappointed with the sound, making allowances for very little burn-in, and the 2GB RAM stick (probably veils the sound slightly compared to smaller ones).

At the moment the speeds are at lowest, RAM is at 5-3-3-9-24-1T, and I haven't lowered voltages at all this time, and sound is much improved. Unfortunately, I've run out of time, and won't learn if lowering voltage again will help or hinder. Temps are low 30s, same as they were when I had voltage barely booting the machine (around .68v).

Other settings are like yours (and cics). I didn't find any difference in temps or sound with 1 or 2 cores, with or without hyperthreading, but I'm not using any upsampling.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RAM timings have been key ingredient for me - seger 09:32:44 05/09/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.