Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Atom-Asrock revisited

Hi all, some time ago i posted about an Atom-based Asrock-mobo which sounds very good, i thought mainly because of simplicity combined with good power handling (6 chokes, which is very nice for Atom boards).

For what it's worth (not many Asrock users), this AD525PV3 has a few nice bios features i explored just lately.

One is rComp-settings which took me some time to understand. Some time ago i asked the Asrock-guys about rComp, but they directed me to the seller (which i didn't try yet).
With rComp setting you can change the way the memory controller handles traffic between CPU and RAM. What i understand of it is that the memory controller compensates fluctuations in board temperature, CPU-load, and measures every n milisec (i don't know what is the standard interval). By changing the settings from auto to 00h the interval is longest (or maybe switch off the measurements) resulting in less traffic and subtle better SQ.

Other bios settings are about the sata SSD (i use 1GB Disk on Module, fed by LiFePo4 battery).
Bios allows to change PIO-setting (0,1,2,3,4).Its about bandwidth and speed of data transfer. Modern disks have PIO 4, which means they can transfer data at high speeds, at cost of CPU-activity.
When setting PIO to 0 CPU gets more rest, which should be beneficial to SQ, and it is (in my setup).

Third is UDMA-setting of harddisk. Asrock bios allows me to change UDMA6 (high transfer speeds) to MWDMA0 (Multi Word DMA). This changes the data transfer cycle time from 15 nano sec (UDMA 6) to 480 nano sec (MWDMA 0).

Result of the PIO and DMA tweaks is better SQ, subtle, but definitely there, enough for a satisfied smile.

Douwe
(CMP setup: Junaids iso, awe, maxmem, pmtimer, minint)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Atom-Asrock revisited - Douwe01nl 14:51:24 05/18/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.