Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

P4 power supply using the BELLESON regulator and mouse problem

Finally got this installed, my first step, and must admit it made a much bigger difference than I expected.

Been listening to it for a week and the biggest impression is a lower noise floor. Not that I was detecting noise before, but little details seem to be there. Takes much less effort to hear all that is there.

In addition, I do think there is a general improvement in tone.

The strange thing is: before I was using an old ATX supply to to power P4 and the USB. I made a new LT1086-5 based supply for the USB but I know longer have a mouse. I turned off all of the USB ports on the "back" so I cannot use those.

I am going to get a non-modified cable to see if the mouse returns when using the onboard power. I had clipped the power wires at the connector so no way to reconnect. Sure wish I hadn't.

Just wondered what can one do when this happens if the unmodified USB/MB cable does not bring the mouse back? I am thinking I have no choice but to reload WINDOWS?

I have the final BELLESON regulator on the way for my stab at an all linear supply. It is rated for 2 amps but the maker assures me that if I use a large heatsink (I am using one large enough for a one channel 40 watts amplifier) and minimal input voltage (I am shooting for seven volts which he says will be enough) I can get away with it. Using the BELLESON for the 12 volts but for the moment an LT1086-3.3 for the 3.3. I am assuming that is suffiecient and much cheaper than another BELLESON. They do make a 3.3 but I thought I could save some money and get by.

I am using the largest bolt on heatsink I could find for the P4 regulator. No need for more heatsink than that. I am assuming only the 5 volts rail will require a serious heatsink. The P4 sink is barely warm though in the summer it might be different. I use a low speed fan during the summer to keep the air flowing.

Worried that the SALAS regulator would be a slight problem since it does allow the voltages to float. I know there is the theoretical advantage of having a supply that can sink current which might be good with the spikiness of what is likely made with the interaction of all these switching devices and their power supplies. I went with easy, but the BELLESONs are certainly more effective than the usual three pin. I do not pretend they are perfect or even close to that.

Something that has aided in making these supplies are the power supply boards made by Peter Daniel. I highly recommend them. Nicely made, as everything made by Peter Daniel. See here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149672-universal-power-supply-pcb.html.

Seeing that the GRANITE POWER supply has only a 5 and 12 volts rails indicates that is all that is needed for for powering the HDD. I plan on using the USB 5 volt and assembling a 12 volt supply, using the LT1086-12 for that.

The five volts supply will be the most elaborate since all seem to agree that this is the most important. I will be using a huge choke between two electrolytics after the rectifiers and then to the DANIEL board.

Peter Daniel reminded me that the rectifiers for the 5 volts supply will need to be sinked. I am using his recommended aluminum channel for this purpose.

For the other supplies, unless I find otherwise, will be in the air and the ones, so far, are not heating at all, or not much.

I hope all of this will be worth it!

Any help on mouse retrieval will be appreciated. Wish there were more commands for the keyboard.

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.