Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

exactly the same way as in a regular cMP setup

Hi Theo,

Nice to hear from you.

When files are stored on a NAS, files are loaded exactly the same way as they are loaded when the files are store on a HDD which is connected too the MoBo.

Ofcourse this only works when you have the LAN function enabled and both your cMP and your NAS are part of the same ‘workgroup’.

In the cMP Settings Window, you have too point cMP too the files on your NAS.
You do this by adding folders in the cMP Setting window: ‘Folders’
If you click the ‘ad’ button you can brows too your NAS and point at the directory where the music files are stored.
The cMP ‘Folders’ windows will than show a path too the files on your NAS.
In my cMP folder window the path looks like this:
//NAS_home/share/mijn muziek/EAC
//NAS_home/share/mijn muziek/FLAC

The name of my NAS is: NAS_home
(the NAS and the cMP PC must be part of the same workgroup, otherwise they won't 'see' each other)
On the NAS is a shared directory with the name ‘share’
In the ‘share’-directory is sub-directory named: ‘mijn muziek’
Which again has sub-directories: ‘EAC’ and ‘FLAC’

In your situation there will be other names.
Your NAS may be given a(ny) different name and you also may have chosen different names for the directories used.

So with the LAN function enabled it works the same way as it works on a local HDD in your PC case.

I also have the same experience as Reylands has with flac files.
A few flac files won’t load in too cPlay and cause cPlay too crash/hang.
However I only have this with 2 or 3 FLAC files.
Which is less than 1% of my flac files.
I don’t know what causes this.

Because these flac-files are of unknown origin, may be I should covert these ‘bad’ flac-files back too wav-files.
And than re-convert them back again into flac-files with the original FLAC frontend.
But I preferably play wav-files.
This is less work for the processor, because there is no real-time decoding needed when playing wav-files.
Also (NAS-)storage space is very cheap these day’s.
So I see no need for using compressed file formats.

In this post I described how I setup my LAN
(http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/8/84578.html)

* How I use a NAS in my cMP setup.
Since the SSD I installed is only 8 gb, the music files must be stored somewhere else.
I store them on a NAS.
Too access the music files on a NAS, I must have the network function enabled.
Only one extra service is needed for that: the 'workstation' service.
So I use a total of 3 services: ‘PnP’, ‘Remote Procedure Call’ and ‘workstation’.
The LAN-functionality also works in cMP-mode under Minlogon.
The use of a wired LAN connection has too be planned in advance when optimizing/tweaking the Win XP sp2 operation system. Before one starts disabling the windows services, a few network configuration steps have to be done first, which can’t be done afterwards when the windows services are already disabled.

Before you start with disabling services, you have too do these two steps:
1. make your cMP computer part of the same workgroup as too which the NAS also belongs.
2. Don’t use DHCP. Instead: manually assign a fixed IP address too the network card.
That’s it.

Applying Minlogon later on, doesn’t reverse the fixed IP address nor does it reverse the workgroup assignment. Both stay intact when applying Minlogon.
The last 2 years I did a lot of intensive listening if wired-LAN enabled would degrade SQ. I can’t hear any loss in sound quality when using a wired LAN connection.

Tip: If you decide too do a fresh XP install on your cMP, make 2 smaller partitions on the drive (and may be a third big(ger) one for install-files, driver-cabs, music files, and image backups) Install XP twice (dual boot system) onto these small partitions. With one of these un-tweaked XP installs, you can than do maintenance on the XP cMP installment. Like: defrag and disk error-checking, etc.

Also let a computer wiz-kid burn an ‘UBCD for windows’ cd for you. And let him learn you too make image copy’s/backups (with DriveImage XML) of your cMP XP partition. If you have a corrupt cMP setup. It’s only 5 minutes work too re-install a backup of your carefully tuned and highly tweaked XP install. It will save you hours (if not days) re-installing and re-tweaking a fresh windows XP install.

Good Luck.

Mark

Edits: 01/31/11 01/31/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.