Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How to implement many of cmp ideas for a non-dedicated pc

For several years now, every PC I build has a dual-boot configuration. The second install makes repairing or restoring the first much easier if (when?) things go wrong.

If you install them with a little care, they work absolutely fine and I see no reason why the "repair" install could not double up as a cMP config. There are no licence issues.

However, from bitter experience, I recommend you use a separate partition for each install (as Microsoft suggests). About 10GB each is ample unless you run a lot of software. In essence, C:\ for the first install, D:\ for the second and E:\ for data.

It takes only moments to set up the partitions when doing the installations but the setup is much more robust. Label the drives and edit the boot.ini file to remind you which partition is which.

Installing two bootable systems on one partition is liable to go wrong and loses a layer of free "recoverability" that has certainly reduced my clients' downtime over the years.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How to implement many of cmp ideas for a non-dedicated pc - Ryelands 05:58:18 07/26/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.