Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Need feedback on this experimental setup for cMP²

I've been running cMP2 with the system clock at 840 MHz and the RAM at 200 MHz for several months in a non-overoversampling setup. I'm not sure if your settings matter much with non-OS but they seem to do no harm either (inc turning off EIST).

Perhaps of more general interest is that, as my mobo and CPU are now both powered by a 5-amp linear supply and pico-PSU (as GStew describes), it is not difficult to calculate the power draw by measuring current and voltage after the power supply. (This allows for PSU dissipation and should be slightly more accurate.)

Set as you ask (900MHz/300MHz), the current is 1.8 amps when playing straight non-OS data, rising to 2 amps when busy (i.e. decompressing large flac files). The voltage is as close to 12 as makes no odds so the draw is between 21 and 24 watts (assuming PF = 1 [DB edit "D'oh - it's DC").

I tried measuring with default settings (2.6 GHz) for a baseline. The current rose to 3.6 amps for a brief period before, for whatever reason, tripping the circuit breaker (!). I'm pretty sure I was within the PSU spec but I don't want to risk the board by trying the measurement too often.

Whatever, I left the meter monitoring current with the underclocked settings for several hours and it didn't waver from 1.8 to 2.0 amps except to go briefly up a little bit (~500 ma) during bootups.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Edits: 03/17/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.