Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Rick and Cics: more data on my issue

My gut is I don't think it is hw unless my processor or mobo can't handle version 20. I ran task mgr on both versions and cpu load is about the same. So I conclude processor at least is ok. But why would mobo work ok with 18 but not 20? Still no good answer.

Also I'm working with some other inmates in an effort to figure this out. I ran a torture test (with bios @ load optimized defaults) to see if I pass or fail. I ran an hour or so with no failures so my conclusion is mobo or processor are probably ok.

But then when I ran cplay it would not start. I got a cplay error diagnostic saying that I didn't have enough memory. Very strange, this could be related to my problem because when I rebooted all was ok. Cplay 20 then ran great for 30 minutes (no metallics) but didn't sound good (remember all 'load optimized defaults' in bios). So I then lowered host clock control to 150 (and reset all bios per cics spec except core voltage) and it went metallic right away. I began upping hcc until I got stable cplay @ 190 but it still sounded hard. So leaving the clock @ 190 I began lowering core voltage, got to .9 volts and boom: metallic. So I concluded that the bios levels that got me no metallics sounded bad with cplay 20. I reset all bios to all of cics specs, reloaded 18 and I get stable playback and decent sonics.

Still sound like the mobo to you? Kind of does to me but appreciate your feedback.

I'm running the torture test now at cics bios specs.

Edits: 04/04/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.