Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: LT3080-based regulators & Linear P4 on Dirty AC circuit experiments...

Agreed.

You can see a picture of the PH ATX-supply here:

http://www.hifizine.com/2010/06/paul-hynes-design/

In separate communications with Paul, he said:

"The ATX supply is a custom four supply in one box product for experimenters to use with replacing the standard ATX power supplies.
It uses my best linear low noise series reg modules. It does not contain any start-up logic... The SR2xr4 costs £1350, with silent transformers, fully built and tested.

The regulator modules are available separately as PR3HD-12, PR3HD-05,
PR3-03v3 and NR3-12 (negative voltage regulator). The PR3HD (heavy
duty) regulators and NR3 negaitve reg cost £120 each. Insured carriage and packing is charged at cost depending on destination."

I suspect this will be the ultimate solution and likely give any battery-powered solution a run for it's money.

BTW, my testing has indicated that you can startup many of the cMP-recommended Gigabyte motherboards (GA-G31M-S2L, GA-G31M-ES2L, and GA-G45M-UD2H) without any controlling start-up logic, just a simple switch to control 5v to the PWR_OK and in the case of the dual-bios UD2H board, a simple manually-implemented timing sequence. Also, only the ES2L board has needed the -12v for startup, so unless you use that board (or need it for a peripheral, like using a Juli@ card and using it's analog side), you can delete that portion of the supply.

Having said all that, what I'm trying to do with testing the LT3080 is to develop a not-too-complex supply that can be built by a moderately-experienced scratch-builder who can't swing the >$2000 USD for the Paul Hynes solution. I can say that the Linear-Hybrid supply solution that I implemented about 1 1/3 years ago was a HUGE upgrade over a modified Antec 430 (extraneous cables & fan removed, added filtering capacitors at outputs) and the fully linear supply I implemented about a month ago was a worthwhile improvement over the Linear-Hybrid (although nowhere the upgrade over the Linear-Hybrid as that was over the standard computer supply), so if a cMP user is concerned with getting the best sound, computer power supply upgrades are a must.

Any my intention is to move to the PH-solution as funds allow.

A long-winded answer to say... 'Yup!'.

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: LT3080-based regulators & Linear P4 on Dirty AC circuit experiments... - GStew 08:25:43 08/16/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.