Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Nettop as an alternative

Laptop/notebook will never get higher than second best, SQ-wise. The Lenovo S205 is a laptop, and very difficult to tweak hardware wise (fan control by software is bad for sq and cause vibrations, hdmi-port is noisy like JackWong stated). Sorry about my remark on nettop-cpu running hot: i meant netbook-cpu. I think nettops

CMP and best SQ is all about tweaking software AND hardware AND BIOS and lots of time (and brings lots of fun, imo).

Allmost all, if not all, nettops have very unflexible bios (maybe except for FitPC?), so you should choose very carefully, read manuals etc.
otoh some inmates have very good resultswith atom or FitPC, like Ryelands:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/9/97956.html

Like cics states in the guide atoms can upsample to 96, but you need core i3 SSE4 to upsample to 192KHz.

So wait for the Lenovo, try cmp, try tweaking software. If you have fun in tweaking and want more, do the next step to core i3 (or wait for my reports on Atom@900MHz, hopefully somwhere in january). Take time to listen and enjoy music.

cheers!
Douwe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.