Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player

I had a big list of points to make, then forgot them heh heh.

I did buy and upgrade to the new board (tho I spose in the meantime there has been another one!! ignorance is bliss)

Anyway, the whole setup does seem a lot more stable now, even tho I only had the 'old' board a couple of weeks I did notice drop outs and whatever...they have gone which is great.

I had always intended to investigate usb out to a converter, idly speculating that I would go the empirical audio off ramp.

anyway, I have been generously lent a hagerman usb converter to try.

However, I get no sound out of it. I have looked in the sounds devices section in the control panel, and it is all greyed out (even tho I can see the usb device in the hardware tab). I assume that with all the xp 'hobbling' we have done, I have turned off the option of getting usb out??

Is there a simple 'turn back on' that even an idjit like me can accomplish??

Even tho it's been a while since I posted (sorry, I simply cannot get the hang of this forums layout..) you may recall I mentioned problems with the cue sheet when ripping from eac. I had always used the dropdown menu something like create cue sheet and then again from the dropdown menu rip selected tracks.

anyway, ever since I have instead used the icon to the left, I have not had a problem with the cue sheets. probably of no interest to most of you, but still it's good to find the solution!

whilst on cue sheets, there is an option in eac to rip 'selected tracks', which is good if you don't want to clog your memory with tracks you don't want. However (and I'm probably overlooking something simple) the cue sheet created still lists all the tracks (even tho you have not ripped them), so of course you get the error of 'wave files not found'. Is there a trick to get around this?? I have not yet tried to edit the cue sheet to fix this, but have the concern that there may be problems if cue sheet tracks are not '1, 2, 3, 4'etc. I mean if we only want tracks 1, 4, 13 from a twenty track cd, I wonder if the cue sheet would work with only three numbers that are not consecutive. Does anyone have experience with this?

What else (frantically trying to recall my points..) oh yes, the latencies. I have always noticed the very low latencies demonstrated here, yet mine is 256 or something. And only this afternoon I noticed the little symbol at the bottom which in fact is the juli@ card. and within it I did find the latency listings, and sure enough mine is 256 (or whatever). I naturally tried to change it to the lowest, but kept getting the message 'MME multichannel is running'. I cannot find the button to turn it off, indeed I never knew it was 'on'. Heck, I don't even know what it is! I will go thru the manual tonight, but throwing it out here in case it's not an obvious paragraph (remember I'm a computer idjit)..Quick question while I'm on it, what is latency (in 2 ch, I imagine in HT it is something lagging behind something else) and how would different latencies manifest sonically?

prob remember something important as soon as I hit post reply heh heh.

thank you so much!

glad I previewed the post first, as I remembered a few more questions. The simple solution to this may be to get a longer range mouse, but using cmp (cant' remember the terminology, please bear with me)I can see all the 'names' listed, bit cannot open them. (the panel with search, rip etc in it) Is that because cplay prevents it? I only mention it as it may be easier to navigate from the lp. A longer range mouse will at least let me use the mouse to hit play, stop etc etc in cplay. I'm not into computers obviously, but I find cplay etc to not be very user friendly. But I suppose the sonic performance has at it's heart (for whatever reason) cplay? I ask (exposing my complete ignorance whilst doing so) because if it is only a 'manager', could we not use, dunno if this is a swear word!, say I-tunes?? (maybe that is only mp3, see I know nought). I mean it's all well and good to have say two thousand tracks on file, but would it not be great to be able to make up different playlists or something?

Maybe there is a simple program that enables us to make out own cue sheets, compilation 1, 2, 3 etc that we can have songs from different albums etc all mixed together? (think that is easy in I-tunes isn't it? which is why I used that as an example)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.