Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Also have a question about ADuM4160 isolator

if I bought the "Populated" board . . .

You have setup options but you will need some DIY skills.

1 Basic. Get the right barrel connector, connect the board to a wall wart or similar in the range nine to twelve volts DC (absolute max, 25v). The 5-volt supply for the ADuM4160 is generated from that by an on-board LT1376 switching regulator. You need about 20 mAmps max (i.e. negligible) to drive the circuit; the +ve line must connect to the centre pin of the barrel connector. This is pretty easy to do and a good place to start;

2 Better. As above but use a 5-volt DC wall wart or similar DC supply and by-pass the on-board switching regulator. Provided you can use a soldering iron, this is easy to do as it only involves a couple of links;

3 Best. As #2 but use a good-quality 5-volt supply. This is IMHO well worth the trouble and is in any case recommended by the board’s designer for audio use.

4 Slickest. By-pass the barrel connector and solder the 5-volt supply direct to the board. It makes no sonic difference but it’s neater.

Would the board work as-is if I bought it populated ?

It has to be powered but, otherwise, yes.

I don’t use batteries so I can’t comment on them except that, unless you use one to drive the chip directly and thus by-pass the LT1376 (i.e. it’s a five-volt battery), I strongly suspect you’d be better off using a linear PSU. There's battery gurus galore on this list.

Does it need an enclosure ?

I don’t have one but I don’t have children crawling over my system either. Your shout.

Would it need more modifications ?

I took a shot of my board while testing setup 3 - the red wire by-passes the LT1376 and another, small link connects the ground lines (hard to see it in this pic):-

HTH

Dave

Edits: 03/10/11 03/10/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.