Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Breakthrough in SQ and 5V Current Consumption(1.8A) - H55MD2H

Please refer to the link at the bottom of this page for the background.

The following were removed from an experimental GA H55M-D2H MB:

2 x DVI to HDMI Video Convertors
1 x Network chip
1 x Sound chip
2 x MOSFET for CPU and system fans (two legs were cut off, not removed)
1 x Optical ouput
1 X OP amp and cap for optical ouput and
a couple of regulators and a number of transisitors together with all resistors and caps around these chips.

Current consumption on the 5V regulator measured 1.73A in CMP and 1.8A @96K. Removal of the above chips resulted in a decrease in current consumption of 0.5-0.6A.

Most important of all, removal of the two video chips brought about significant improvement in SQ, which sound somewhat like changing from ATX PS to Regulated PS. This is probably due to removal of two noisy video chips.

The experiment confirmed that although some chips remained unuse or are turned off in BIOS, they still draw current and can significantly impact on SQ.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remove these chips. A butane gas soldering iron (with hot air blow) or a hot air gun can be used for the desoldering job. Please note that the back of the video chips and network chip are soldered to the ground plane of the MB and their removal are much more difficult.

The above modification is meant for some die-hard DIYER like me, and is not recommended for normal users. For fun and information only.

Edits: 06/05/10 06/05/10 06/05/10 06/05/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.