Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

okay i'll try with the Pico PW-200-M

Hi Daniele,

Sorry I mistakenly studied the picture posted by nagual192 as being your setup. On nagual192’s picture I see a big wired choke on the 12V DC power line that powers the Pico (mounted on a yellow board which is resting on the cpu cooler). I guess that choke is there too filter power too the Pico. So I was curious which frequencies nagual192 targets and how he does the math on preventing the choke from ringing.

This time I studied your pictures.
Do you use your Asus Xonar card as a DAC or as a digital interface too an external DAC?
I guess optimizing power for when the Xonar is used as a DAC, will be extremely challenging and difficult. Slightest micro levels of ripple & noise in power and/or in ground (0 Volt) produced by the MoBo will impact in the DA conversion process. Optimizing this situation is much too difficult for my level of knowledge and skills.

Until some years ago I used a Lynx L22 soundcard but I finally settled on an external DAC.
And only recently I decided too follow Cic’s advice too 100% isolate the external DAC from the computer through use of an (good quality) optical connection.
This way my power supply modifications now only impact the digital processing on the mobo and on the digital inferface. I don’t have too worry any longer on how these modifications will also impact the digital too analog conversion process.

In both situations (Xonar used as a DAC or used as a digital interface) it is important too know if a Pico produces noise on the 12, 5 and 3.3 output. If the Pico is producing noise, than the clean, high quality power coming from the exquise Bellesons, is spoiled by the Pico. Too direct filter actions where they are most effective, it’s important too know if the Pico spoils your carefully generated clean power.

On the other hand it is quite simple too try out your suggestion.
Here’s what springs too mind on what I can do.

* For the experiment I will use the pico PW-200-M.
It is said that this pico regulates all 3 DC lines. (12, 5 and 3.3)

* Use of ferrites
I will put ferrites beads on the 12 DC power line (coming from a linear) too the pico pw-200-M
I will try too realize at least 1000 ohms
I think I can do this through putting 3 or 4 ferrites in series with each a decreasing numbers of turns.
See http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm why.

* Use of Caps
I will put Oscon caps in front and after the ferrites to create a л filter. 47 uf after and some 300 uF before the ferrites.

* Results.
Give some 2 weeks too come up with first impressions, as I don’t know how much time I will want to spend on critical listening sessions indoor.

Besides a very nice spring, until now we had lousy summer weather in The Netherlands. But when weather changes, I will be out with friends in the park in the evening. Enjoying BBQ and drinks. When living in the northern part of Europe, one has too grab all chances too enjoy the summer when weather is good. ;-)

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.