Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

PS/2 Mice & other recent interesting HW comments...

There have been a few comments about alternative HW in recent cMP/cPlay threads. So of course, I have some questions:

1. PS/2 mice. I really like this idea, especially if I can get entirely away from any USB processing in my system. But I really like the remote-ability of the wireless mice. Does anyone know of or has used a wireless PS/2 mouse or an adapter that will allow the use of a USB wireless mouse via a PS/2 adapter? I have USB-PS/2 adapters which will allow a wired USB mouse to work into a PS/2 port, but they don't seem to work with my wireless mice.

2. Transcend IDE Flash Module 1GB and similar. Mihaylov, I saw you mentioned this as a better alternative to the standard SATA SSD. What makes it better? I would have thought sticking with only SATA would have been better than a mix of IDE & SATA. Perhaps relatedly, FMAK posted about an IDE DOM (Disk on Module) drive for a small music server he put together here: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=98415 . Anyone know anything about these?

3. Non-Native PCI Mobos. Ok, as Rick McInnis, Jack Wong & others have pointed out, the latest SandyBridge chipset appropriate to our purposes does not support PCI natively. Some of the boards using this chipset do appear to have non-native PCI slots. Also, Bibo01 wrote 'Q67 (also Q65) chipset microATX motherboards do have native PCI'. Has anyone used a Mobo without native PCI support with a PCI soundcard for their interface and can report on the sound? As Jack Wong said, these boards may be significant steps up from today's boards... maybe the suboptimal PCI processing will be swamped by the inherent SQ improvement? Or has anyone seen and/or used any of these Q67/Q65 boards that support PCI natively?

4. SSD Under-volting. Douwe01nl wrote a wonderfully intrigueing post with several HW tweak opportunities. One was undervolting his SSD. Anyone else tried this? Except for being focused on Juli@ mods right now, this would be an easy one for me to try as I have linear supplies with variable regulators on my SSD & HDD. But hopefully others have tried it, but just haven't reported.

More on Douwe01nl's thread.

TIA!

Greg in Mississippi
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.