Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

There's a lot of anger out there..........

and I don't know if you fall into that camp.

Don't you think that it's a bit unfair of you to try and tell a manufacturer that their goals are not valid? Not accurate?

When I say POP, - I mean everything that is not classical music, and/or perhaps jazz.

My best argument is the case of Krell and Rogue. These radically different sounding amplifiers can only mean that each artisan has a different "take" on what is "good sound." Or, - they are messing up, - and unable to build the equipment to sound the way that they want. Surely the designer of Krell has a "different" idea of what good sound is, or even, what accuracy, is.

He/she is not wrong, they just have a different interpretation of the recorded musical event.

""Perhaps you are in the business of selling to people who want a recording of a Steinway to sound like a Bosendorfer.""

Bringing me into this is completely irrelevant. I have no influence over the interpretation of any manufacturer. I don't sell people equipment, and I am just like you, a consumer who enjoys listening to great music on a great system.

It is not that simple to say that any manufacturer wants one instrument to not sound like itself, or to sound like another. As you say, the room, that the instrument was recorded in could do that on it's own, - you don't need someone way down the playback chain to try and change the sound of an instrument. The microphone used will/can change the sound. The tape player, the cables. By the time anyone hears any disc, - it's usually at least 5th generation or more down from what was actually played in a room.

The designer at Rogue may simply say that the recording compromises that we made to bring out one quality of the mix made another element sound sibilant. His goal might be to "sweeten" some of the sibilance so that a Stradivarius sounds less like a Yamaha. Music is complicated. And at the end of the day, any playback system always falls short of the real thing.

If you've ever done a comparison between a super high quality system, and a super high quality recording, mixed with the actual instrument played live in the room: back to back, - the stereo system falls short every single time.

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.