Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

What is well established in all other areas of science is the wildly variable influence of of subjective facto

Certainly you grossly overstate this. I am sure physicists, biologists, chemists, etc. can ignore "subjective" factors. All must realize that one cannot deal with value judgments.

Similarly, you state, "When efforts are made to do that with audio, even the attempts are derided and sneered at, and endless excuses are presented to discount any results." Most of the criticism of most of the psychological testing using 30 sec. same or different methods are criticized as "invalid" measurement of the concept. Peer review normally deals with such problems, but if you dominate one journal and have only subscribers review, that safeguard is defeated. If the results are always that no one can hear the differences, the methodology is faulty.

Finally, most people reading a review are seeking vicarious impressions of the reviewer. They could care two figs whether he uses "double blind" tests. I can see that a designer might have interest in choosing between two designs, but probably would see no purpose in such methodology. I did participate in a comparison of a speaker maker's two final speakers. We listened for a while and I loved the sound. He then substituted two other speakers that looked alike with the first one. It was not as good. When I said that, he said they were identical in every respect- dimensions, drivers, wood, braces, wire, crossovers, etc., except for a different cabinet maker and that he entirely agreed with me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.