Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

There is no defintion for art, but audio definitely is not art!

Measurements are inadequate to describe sound: Why should they, a loudspeaker is not an instrument that has to sound good? However, Harman has achieved an almost 100% correlation between measurements and subjective impression, so in a way measurements, if you know which ones, are adequate to describe sound. You have to do the listening tests blindfolded, of course.

Differing rooms will bring about differing measurements: true but that's not the point. The room and placement within the room are parameters you cannot control at the design stage. You can build the most stellar speakers in the world, if the user put one in a corner, the other close to a doorway the result will be bad. What about non-rectangular rooms? Evere seen a plot of the pressure zones in such rooms?

>Why does Wilson spend all of that time and expense to develop and build those enclosures?<

I don't know, but it has been shown that the main culprit is not the enclosure itself, but the enclosure's internal modes. "X" material, the days that such hype could impress me are long gone.

Klaus

Edits: 06/11/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.