Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Good points.

"What should have been done in any PC test is a rigorous analysis of exactly what path the IC signal current takes to return to the source."

Paths plural I'm afraid. My guess is the road through the rectifiers is one of the rockiest SQ-wise.

"Nobody considers the fact that within a single ended code compliant system, about 10% of the signal current returns by the IC shield."

I think the situation can be far better than that. It's not required to use a chassis ground and not all transformers are junk. Years ago I did a check (by ear) on one of my systems where a computer uses a SE feed to a receiver across the room (but on the same AC circuit). It was far better than I would have supposed. I'd estimate at least 30dB in-band, but I suspect that the receiver was especially good in that regard. I just pulled out the RCA plugs enough to unhook the shields. Didn't do any measurements as it seemed low enough to not be a significant factor. Most of my previous experience is that all hell breaks loose when you do that.

My jaundiced view on power cord sensitivity is that outside of coupling with other cables in the rear tangle that it's an indicator of equipment deficiencies. And systemic ones of course, but we are largely stuck with those.

Nice to see you posting again...

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.